What does a restricted browser window prevent a user from doing?

Home 3 Forums iOS / tvOS Starter Kits The Story Tellers Kit 2 for iOS or tvOS Apps What does a restricted browser window prevent a user from doing?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Justin at CartoonSmart 2 months, 1 week ago.

• April 13, 2017 at 10:10 am #165077

Hi Justin,

I created an app to experiment with OpenURL and OpenSingleURL events. Those are cool–thank you for adding them! I have a question about how restricted browser windows work.

I expected OpenSingleURL to prevent the user from following links on the page opened in Safari. Instead, it prevents the user from typing a new destination url. Should it do both? Is there any way to keep a kid from navigating away by clicking a link? Far too many webpages have clickbait these days.

Please note I’m testing using the simulator, so runtime behavior could be different on a real device.

Also, OpenSingleURL creates a slightly different UI than OpenURL does. OpenSingleURL renders a Done button which returns control back to the page. OpenURL shows a link based the name of the app. Both close the browser, but it would be nice if they were visually consistent. Personally I like the Done option. It is larger and easier to click.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Best,

Steve

• April 13, 2017 at 11:46 am #165090

Yeah, ya never know with the Simulator. Always test on your device for what will actually happen.

But yeah, OpenSingleURL won’t prevent people from navigating elsewhere from whatever page you’ve started them at. But think about the usage here. Most likely you’re sending them somewhere you control right? Like info on your website. So you shouldn’t be worried about click bait if you know the destination is safe. If not, then I wouldn’t include a link at all. Especially if its a Kid’s App. You’re bound to get into trouble for that eventually.

You might be able to change the Done button option, but it sounds like you’re making a Kid’s app, so chances are you’re not going to be using both options anyway. I’m not even sure you can get a “Made for Kids App” approved with unrestricted web access. I’d be surprised.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.