Using available game art in top down style game kit

Home 4 Forums iOS / tvOS Starter Kits The Role Playing Games iOS and tvOS Starter Kit Using available game art in top down style game kit

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Universe 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• April 30, 2018 at 8:58 am #183486

The RPG kit is top-down style game template. So, basically all characters are supposed to move in 4 directions (front, back, left, right). However, i found that most of game art characters i would like to use are one directional. It is easy to flip them from left to right to get additional direction, but using the same atlases may not be good for front and back directions.
    Are there any work-arounds, advice for these cases, except redrawing a lot in Illustrator?

• May 3, 2018 at 12:51 pm #183561

Yeah finding a ton of art with front and back views can be tough. I would try to get at least your main character in there with all four views. Users will forgive the enemies from moving in all four directions since they aren’t controlling the enemies (thus expecting them to be seen from a different view). So your enemy could just move from left to right if you don’t want to redraw the different views. Or not, it all depends I think on the style of the game. If its meant to look somewhat retro, then you can get away with side-views in a top-down world.

• May 3, 2018 at 7:30 pm #183569

ok thanks for advise!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Download the new CartoonSmart TV App - Tons of FREE and Premium Lessons

It's Free Right? Sure, I'll Get It!