Question on building character animations and long term performance.

Home 4 Forums General Support Question on building character animations and long term performance.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Romine 3 months, 1 week ago.

• February 12, 2018 at 2:06 pm #180202

My question of the week! I’m building an app where I plan on having 30+ possible characters (not at all at once). Each character can have 4 or more animations, walking, attacking, hurt, dead etc. It’s not a top down game but a side scroller so to simulate left and right animations I’m checking for direction and using xScale to “flip” the image in the correct direction. I was taking this approach to keep down the numbers of image files I’d have to supply. My question is really about best practices and I don’t believe my method is it. Would you agree?

If it’s recommended that I go ahead and create image sequences that cover both left and right actions would you put each character into it’s own .atlas? Currently I have them all in separate .assets folders but I’m starting to get A LOT of supporting folders and am thinking about long term performance. As always thanks for the help.

• February 12, 2018 at 2:09 pm #180203

I would just flip them on the x. The main issue you might run into is the physics body needing an adjustment when you flip, but thats really not much of an issue. Just something to watch out for. You can always adjust the physics body anytime it flips.

So full steam ahead!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Download the new CartoonSmart TV App - Tons of FREE and Premium Lessons

It's Free Right? Sure, I'll Get It!