Pause/settings screen for RPG game

Home 4 Forums Tutorial Help iOS and tvOS Video Tutorial Help Everything iOS! Pause/settings screen for RPG game

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  rockman 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• April 18, 2019 at 6:07 pm #204610

ref: “Role Playing Games with Swift and Sprite Kit”

Although I understand how to use the portal code to jump between SKS files, I cannot be sure how to best implement a pause screen or title/setting SKS screen. SpriteKit doesn’t come with buttons either (for some reason) and although these would be sprites, they would be needed for a settings page.

I understand that it is best to stick to SKS files and not use the storyboard, to use a custom class as a controller for handling the transition, and that all Nodes on the scene can be paused when in the pause menu, but not how to do it with the code available.

From what I understand it would be best to use a button (spriteNode) on the GUI camera SKS file which is separate from the level and always available?

I saw a tutorial covering this for the tvOS Pinball game (“Tapping the Menu to Pause or Unpause”) but it doesn’t mesh well with the RPG game. Stack overflow has some information on this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41845337/swift-3-making-a-pause-menu-in-spritekit-by-overlaying-a-skview

Anybody got any ideas please?

• May 4, 2019 at 8:20 pm #204822

Hi, Justin. You must be busy, but if you could I would like to know if it is possible to use the portal and have the previous sks file paused because everything I have tried leads to the level being started from the beginning and adding the isPaused property won’t allow for the transition once called on the self.view.

I do not want to use the user.defaults to save data as I read it is a drain on memory, but would like to know if I can use the portal and resume the previous RPG level?

Many thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Become part of the CartoonSmart Team with our Affiliate Program

Make recurring money when you refer a subscriber. 30 day tracking. Commissions 33%-50%!

Uh oh, missing your affiliate ID. Create one real quick