Introduction to Sprite Kit – Part 8 – Changing zPositions at Runtime and Making a Custom Class
January 19, 2017
Build an iMessage App Part 9 – Scaling with a UISlider and Saving the Scale to User Defaults
January 18, 2017
- Brand new Introduction to Sprite Kit course! This time with Swift 3!
- Added a preview page for this month’s game art Ryu – 4 directional top down animated character
- More new game art! An 8 pack of enemy characters. Great to beat up on in games you’re prototyping or sending to the store!
- Huge new series on How to Build a User-Customizable Emoji App for iMessage. Get started here!
- Added a preview page for the Snowy Top Down Tower Defense game art for subscribers
- Added a preview page for the Super Tiny Goblin – 3 Pack game art for subscribers
- Added a preview page for the Super Tiny Archers – 3 Pack game art for subscribers
- Added a preview page for the Spaceship Platform Level Art for subscribers
- New game art for subscribers. Another PREMIUM Top Down Tower Defense style set. This time dungeon themed! Plus a 3 pack of Skeleton characters! Check it out here.
- Updated all our Swift based game projects to Swift 3.
- Added some incredible Top Down Tower Defense game art for subscribers. Check it out here.
- Added a new course on How to Make iOS Sticker Packs for Non-Programmers.
- Updated all the Swift-based Starter Kits to version 3. Now fully compatible with the Xcode 8 GM!
- Cooking up some awesome new gaming lessons for iMessage apps! Hold tight =)
- Four new video tutorials on how to build an iMessage app version of Paper, Scissors, Rock. Learn more about MSMessage, MSSession and tons more. First video is a short intro, check it out here.
- New video tutorial on how to add unlimited UIButtons to a UIScrollview in a Message App extension with data populated from a property list. In other words, tap a button and pre-populate the messages window with text. Click here to view.
- New video tutorial on how to send an MSSticker without using the Sticker Browser, in other words, directly with code. This opens up many possibilities for different GUI to send content. Click here to view
- Updated the Story Tellers Kit and Pinball Kit to the latest version of Swift 3 (now builds fine in Xcode 8 Beta 6)
- Add In-App Purchasing to your iMessage App to sell stickers! Start here for the videos. Jump in here for the source files.
- Learn how to add Sprite Kit to an iMessage App in this video tutorial. Yeah, seriously!
- How to setup a Basic iMessage App. This essentially do what the Sticker App Project Template does, but with code.
- How to use Animated PNGs instead of Sticker Sequences in Xcode 8’s Sticker Packs or iMessage Apps.
- A quick look at Sticker Packs in Xcode 8
- Learn how to check tile definitions in your Tile Map with Xcode 8
- Learn how to setup Tile Maps in Xcode 8 with this bleeding-edge video tutorial!
- We’ve got four hours of 2D game development tutorials for Unity! More details to come on the standalone sales page, but subscribers can go ahead and get started
- Stay away from Xcode 8 Beta 4 if you work with Sprite Kit. It will crash immediately upon opening. Yes, really!
- Added a standalone sales page for Paris Christou’s new course. Check it out!
- Starting to document the Card and Board Games Kit (the card portion at least), if you’d like to get a jump start on it, feel free to dive in!
- What’s that? You want even more game art this month?! Download Red Bot!
- Four new packages of royalty free game art added for ALL subscribers! Monthly subscribers, don’t forget to download these while they are available!
- New Digital Painting tutorials from the mighty Paris Christou! Two sections have been added to the Cherry courses!
- Added three more videos to begin Session 6 of the Card and Board Game series.
- The first of many tutorials for iOS10, Sprite Kit on the Apple Watch is available!
- Platform Games Kit update! Added ExplodeAsBullet for Enemy types. And a code fix on iOS for enemies that were spawned and offset based on the Player1 position.
- Added a 4th video on how to make a game similar to Donkey Kong with Swift and Sprite Kit
- New podcast on switching from Swift 2.2 to Swift 3
- Added three more videos to begin Session 6 of the Card and Board Game series.
- Added a video on how to randomly drop barrels in our Donkey Kong-inspired Swift clone.
- For Yearly subscribers, an Early Look at the Swift 3 versions of our Swift-based kits.
- Added two videos from a short series (very short I promise) on how to make a basic Donkey Kong style game if you begin with the Empty Starter Kit.
- New podcast on How to Draw Donkey Kong style game art
- Oops, forgot to mention the Empty iOS and tvOS Starter Kit launched! Download from here.
- Finished up Session 5 in the Card and Board Game series. Learn how to add sounds, external controllers, and much more!
- Added a property called IgnoreSiblingOrder to the Story Tellers Kit specifically for coloring app pages. Forces newly drawn nodes to stay on top of others.
- Added Spring Boards to the Platform Games Kit. Bounce it up! Find out how to implement them here.
- Happy Memorial Day – Added two more videos to the Card and Board Game series. How to create a button class with Swift and load the main game from a menu.
- Free Swift and Sprite Kit Video Tutorial – Prototype a Board Game and Moving Pieces
- Session 4 is a wrap in our Card and Board Games video tutorial series!
- How to Pause and Repeat Actions in an SKAction Sequence with Swift and Sprite Kit – Video tutorial
- More podcasts! If you like these, let me know!
- Added In-App Purchasing to the Platform Games iOS and tvOS Starter Kit
- Five more videos in the 4th Session of the Card and Board Games iOS and tvOS Tutorial series . We’re fully into some 8-player action now!
- New user-requested video on How to Use the Timeline in Adobe Photoshop to Animate /Export PNG’s or Gifs
- Lots of new videos added to the CartoonSmart Podcast!
- Ended Session 3 with four more videos. Onto Session 4 tomorrow (getting closer and closer to implementing the “Board” in our Board games tutorials)
- Got Session 3 our new Card and Board Games iOS and tvOS series off to a mighty start with 4 new videos. It took me all Wednesday (May 11) to crack the back half of this session, but I’m happy to say we’ll have a cool card matching system, where you can score combos like 3 Queens and 2 Pair.
- Added a PlaySoundFromPool property for playing random sounds in the Story Tellers Kit 2. More info here.
- Two new videos cap off Session 2 in the Card and Board Games iOS and tvOS tutorials. Plenty more t come!
- Added a video on the Swift code to open restricted or unrestricted URLs
- Updated the Story Tellers Kit 2 to include properties to open restricted or unrestricted URLS.
- Added 3 new videos to session 2 in our new Card and Board Games iOS and tvOS series.
- Time to have some fun, the CartoonSmart Podcast is officially live! Nine episodes are already available!
- Four new royalty free game art packages available for all subscribers!
- Added In-App Purchasing to the Pinball Games iOS and tvOS Starter Kit! Find out more in the Change Log for the kit.
- Added some of this month’s royalty free game art for subscribers. Four fully animated knight characters, great game art for plenty of games, but obviously killer art for a medieval style game! Subscribers can download all four from here.
- Added 4 new videos to wrap up session 1 in our new Card and Board Games series. But its nowhere near over!
- Added a free digital illustration tutorial on How to Draw a Star Wars Style Droid
- Added a new video in the Card and Board Games series, Creating the Card Class and using an SKReferenceNode to Hold the Card Data
- The Card and Board Games iOS and tvOS Tutorial has officially begun! The first four lessons are now available
- Added an experimental version of the Pinball Games iOS and tvOS Starter Kit with some properties to use the Accelerometer to control the ball or motion settings on the Apple TV Remote.
- Added a short video tutorial on How to Check Values Periodically with Swift and Sprite Kit
- Launched our April newsletter. I’ll repost it officially on the site, but till then, here’s the actual send out.
- Added a new digital illustration tutorial with Adobe Animate or Adobe Flash on how to draw spokes characters
- Spent what felt like an eternity changing the menu colors on the site. What year is this? What version is iOS up to? Did they call it iOS10 or iOS-X?
- Added a new digital illustration video tutorial on Adobe Illustrator Draw (sketching on the iPad)
- Added a student requested video on Slot Machine code (in Xcode with Swift and Sprite Kit)
- Added a sizzle reel header to iOS and tvOS tutorials page.
- Remade the CartoonSmart homepage, hope you like!
- Added a student requested video on How to Submit Your App to Apple with Xcode 7
- Added a student requested video on How to Make a Still PhotoShop Image an Animated Sequence
- Added a student requested video on How to Draw a Sword.
- Object-Oriented PHP – HUGE new course!
- SASS – HUGE new course!
- PHP7 – HUGE new course!
- All kits and Swift based Sprite Kit tutorials updated for Swift 2.2 and Xcode 7
- Posted a short article about some minor changes in Swift 2.2. You can read that right here.