Tiled to Sprites

Home Forums Swift and Sprite Kit Tiled to Sprites

Tagged: , , , , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stacie Arellano 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• April 4, 2016 at 2:19 pm #145511

I really enjoyed the Maze Games tutorial. I’m trying to get my background and wall sprites into the game via tiled, but don’t see that in the tutorial, did I miss how to do that part?

• April 5, 2016 at 1:04 pm #145560

Well the art you use in Tiled doesn’t import into Xcode directly. So for example, you might use one png in Tiled and actually display a different one Xcode. Tiled is just used for placement and some other simple data.

But these days, I would use the alternate method in the tutorials, the Scene Editor. Which has come a long way recently. It was a bit clunky at first (zooming out wouldn’t render the art, and other odd things would happen), but now I would recommend the Scene Editor over Tiled. I know in the tutorials I mostly used Tiled but both options are available.

• April 5, 2016 at 5:32 pm #145572

Awesome, I’ll focus on that then. I’m blogging about making an app over at http://www.staciearellano.com/ios-project-log-1/

I’m using your maze game as the base, and expanding beyond it for my semester project. I’m excited to see where it will go!

oh! I tried to sign up as an Affiliate program, to link to in my logs, but it didn’t seem to work for me.

• April 11, 2016 at 3:03 pm #146384

Looking into the affiliate thing for ya. I might just need to approve it. =)

• May 6, 2016 at 6:31 pm #149402

Ok, weeks of working with this have led me to believe that the scene builder is just not precise enough to build quality tile based levels.

I found this SKTileMap which pulls in both the images and the objects. Trying to get it working alongside the maze tutorial program. Being able to design things in Tiled, set up the maze boundaries and stamp the tile layer in the same place, and then just have Xcode read it… so much simpler.

but, will have to see if i can shoehorn things in. I have tonight, tomorrow and maybe part of Sunday to do it. We have an open house on Monday at school to demo the programs.

whew.

any additional advice from you would also be fantastic.
      FWIW I have at least 12 entries on the whole process of this app up in my blog.
      http://www.staciearellano.com/category/gamedev/

Thanks,
      Stacie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.