Nimbus controller in Simulator?

Home Forums iOS / tvOS Starter Kits The Platform Games iOS and tvOS Starter Kit Nimbus controller in Simulator?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark van Wijnen 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• July 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm #152578

So I tried the starter kit on the physical Apple TV and with the Nimbus controller connected all works fine. When I remove the controller from the Apple TV and pair it with my Mac I can control the Apple TV Simulator with my Nimbus controller, however, when I try to play the game within the simulator this does not work. I can press the menu button but all the other gamepad input seems to be ignored. Is this normal behavior, is there a work-a-round I am not familiar with?

• July 6, 2016 at 4:36 pm #152579

Yeah thats normal. The Simulator doesn’t recognize most of the code for the MicroController (ahem, Apple TV remote). Its “okay” with swipe and tap gestures, but when you use valueChanged handlers for the MicroController, it just won’t won’t recognize.

But hey, if you got your Apple TV hooked up, don’t mess with the Sim. Its a garbage test device compared to the real deal!

• July 7, 2016 at 12:49 am #152587

True. I am glad you cleared that up the Apple SDK wasn’t clear about that, they wrote:

“You can use either an MFi gamecontroller or an Apple TV Remote with a tvOS device in Simulator. Use Bluetooth to pair the remote or controller with the Mac. Simulator recognizes the paired remote. Be sure the game controller is compatible with Apple TV.
      Gamepads can be used to navigate the focus-based interface on tvOS. In addition to controlling the interface, apps can access the game controller using the Game Controller Framework. For more information, see Game Controller Programming Guide.”
      (Source: Interacting with tvOS)

So it seems like you can use MFi gamecontrollers in the simulator and access them bij the Game Controller Framework, but that isn’t true. I will stick to the real deal, thanks for your quick reply.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.