Less is more…

Home Forums Game Development Tips Less is more…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael McGlon 4 months ago.

• April 2, 2016 at 9:47 am #145261

A lot of people email me with bullet point lists of every thing they want to do in their first app. 100’s of levels, mmorpg features, currency systems, live chat, etc. You name the feature, I’ve probably seen it on a checklist of must-have’s.

As a new developer I would suggest you scale back. Don’t try to put in everything but the kitchen sink. If this is your first time making an app, don’t worry so much about everything you could in theory do, just focus on what you know you can now.

Apps have versions for a reason. Consider version 1 a kind of live Beta. Is it anti-climatic, that maybe only 5 levels of 15 are done and you’re pushing the app into the store? I don’t think so. Heck sometimes I edit live pages on my website. If someone just happens to be looking at that page at the time, then they experienced a little work in progress. So what if your first 1000 users came to the end of level 5 and it was nothing but a bottomless cliff. Thats actually funny. It’s meta. As in, there could be a sign that simply says “you reached the same point we did in this game”.

If you do a kind of pre-official launch release, then make it free. No one complains about free. And if they do, then you really know you have problems. But that is why games have beta periods. Don’t expect your friends and family to give you an honest critique as a beta tester of your game. These are same people tagging along with you to Outback Steakhouse to celebrate its release, and their honesty is probably as sincere as that blooming onion is healthy for you. The feedback you get from anonymous app reviewers, that’s some honesty. Here’s one I got recently…

“I love it. It’s not like you think it is, it is much better”

Thanks… I guess. Apparently this person thought the game would suck. But hey, I’ll take it! Hopefully everyone playing it feels the same way. I guess. By the way, here’s the app I’m speaking of.

So anyway, don’t be afraid to just release your app. Get it out there. Get feedback. Get some stats. And then use all that to steer it forward.

• May 21, 2016 at 7:52 pm #150201

So So true, I call it analysis paralysis.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.