Inventory for "Dummies"

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Scott 5 months, 1 week ago.

• April 18, 2016 at 11:09 am #147347

So far I have managed to collect points and add them to a running score in my app, but I am trying to figure out how to allow users to subtract from that score to “purchase” hidden items. The subtracting part isn’t the aspect tripping me up, but I am a bit confused on how to set different “prices” and unlock features. So essentially I am hoping someone can provide an example of how they approached this use case.

I am currently look at the documentation for locking and unlocking items.

Also when a user finds icons or collectibles I would like them to be able to select it from inventory to open hidden rooms or unlock hidden features and then that item is no longer in inventory or able to be found.

Hoping for some guidance for “dummies” on this or that this request will find its way into “User requested Videos”

Thanks!

• April 18, 2016 at 11:25 am #147350

Did you watch this yet….

http://cartoonsmart.com/in-app-purchasing-story-tellers-ios-starter-kit-documentation/

You can definitely create an inventory system and currency type system.

I think one thing to remember is that there’s two prices. Real world, meaning what you are setting in iTunes Connect for your In-App Purchase, which could be $1.99 for 2000 Gold.

And then of course the in-game currency which is the 2000 Gold. So all spending in the app: prices, events that subtract, is in Gold. Not real money anymore. So you’d never have a button that says “One Axe:$0.50”. It would say “One Axe: 500 Gold” After the initial in-app purchase, you don’t want people thinking they are spending real money again, because they aren’t. They are spending the Gold.

So your button or whatever it was that got pressed in the game to buy the Axe is using the SubtractFromValues dictionary to take away from the total of Gold they have. Here’s a screenshot from the docs about that property…

In App Purchasing in Swift Xcode Story Tellers Kit

• April 18, 2016 at 6:46 pm #147418

Thank you for explaining this to me. I think I was tripped up in my thinking by two things:

1) The in-app purchase aspect. I am actually not . I Just want currency to come from accomplishments, so I think it may be as simple as just awarding and subtracting points/coins as I see fit? Does that sound right?

2) I also think I am hoping to see an example of the inventory used on something. I see that in documentation you mentioned buying “Truck Oil” is there anywhere that I could see that in practice. So for example User has 300 coins and goes to a store in the app and can select a product, purchase said product and then it shows up elsewhere in the app.

I think separately I am grasping the concepts (I hope) but having problems tying it all together.

Definitely not your job to tie it all together for me, just hoping to see a cool example of this. I’ll keep playing around and post back with my progress in the meantime.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.