[HTMYOGA1] Converting All Parts To A Single Symbol in Flash

Home Forums Tutorial Help Art / Animation Tutorials [HTMYOGA1] Converting All Parts To A Single Symbol in Flash

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Geejayz 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• September 29, 2016 at 10:09 am #156381

So I finished the Knight Game Character and selected all the parts and converted them to a single symbol in one layer.

When I select it within the layer, it shows a single bounding box confirming that it is indeed one object.

However, I’m now making the in game character and I copied and pasted the Knight into my new file and noticed that when I went to make the Helmet symbol, it said that it already existed. Sure enough, when I check the library in my new file it has all of the original symbols. If I delete those, the also disappear from the knight symbol. I had thought that creating a new symbol containing other symbols that it would be independent of those child symbols. Have I missed a step?

I note that you (Justin) didn’t have the same issue at this point.

• September 30, 2016 at 1:29 pm #156467

When you copy in one symbol or a symbol containing other symbols, into a new document its going to put all the symbols into the library.

When Animate / Flash see there’s a naming conflict (like a symbol already exists with the same name) it gives you the option to just put the duplicates into their own folder, so you don’t override your existing symbol names.

Sounds like you might have chosen to Replace the existing ones. In which case what you brought in would replace whats in there.

I almost also choose the duplicate option (the third one).

• October 1, 2016 at 3:24 am #156483

Sounds good – thank you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.