Hotkeys or navigation for Xcode scenes

Home Forums Swift and Sprite Kit Hotkeys or navigation for Xcode scenes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Justin Salamon 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• May 23, 2016 at 8:12 pm #150254

This is driving me insane but I cannot seem to find what the hotkeys or controls are for moving the view around when working on the TvOS kit in the sks scene. What I end up doing is cmd + – to zoom out and then I know I can left click and hold any of the black area to pan around the scene, but is here any way of doing this without having to zoom out first and not selecting and moving objects?

I’m still fairly new to using a Mac I guess (3 years still a newb?). I’m using a magic mouse if that makes any difference. I just want to be able to work more efficiently. Thanks!

• May 24, 2016 at 9:23 am #150281

I think you might need to just restart Xcode. Panning around the .sks file (regardless of it being for tvOS or iOS) should just be a matter of clicking down in any empty area and dragging around. Also Scene files really aren’t *that* targeted for a particular device. Yes, they have a Target Membership like any file, but you could change that back and forth between iOS and tvOS, its still going to run fine.

Anyway, I think its just a glitch. I seem to remember dealing with that once before too, where my only option was clicking the (+) or (-) keys to zoom out or in. But thats definitely not the norm.

Keep me posted!

• May 24, 2016 at 1:27 pm #150285

I didn’t mean specifically when using the kit, I just mean navigation controls in general. I am just now getting into doing all this in Xcode. I’ve either been using Tiled with the Fantastic Worlds kit or Sprite builder on other things. I just don’t know how to navigate the view and the Xcode docs and dev center must have it labeled as classified information because I don’t see it anywhere.

I know you can click an empty area to drag the scene around but that’s what I’m trying to avoid. If I’m zoomed all the way in to place an item I don’t want to have to zoom all the way back out so I can grab an empty area to drag the scene over a little bit so I can zoom back in again for the item 3 inches from the first one. It’s bad enough on my iMac but on a 13″ MacBook it’s beyond annoying. If I swipe on the mouse I just change desktops. I tried pinching but it doesn’t do anything.

I just noticed in the tvos kit video about spawning enemies, at 20:45 you appear to be zooming out and panning the scene at the same time. How are you doing that?

• May 24, 2016 at 2:29 pm #150289

Ah, gotcha! I use my MacBook, so touching down with two fingers will pan around. Note, not clicking down, just a light two finger touch. I think you can do that with the Magic Mouse right?

• May 25, 2016 at 12:49 am #150311

Well it turns out it can’t be done with the mouse. Two finger swiping switches desktops. Apparently the trackpad is the only way to do it officially. Really odd that they wouldn’t have a spacebar + click drag to pan around.

But I found a way to make it work without buying a $130 trackpad: My intuos Pro tablet I got last year has touch controls that I normally keep off because it’s annoying. But I tried it in Xcode and it works for panning the scene! Yay now I can accomplish some work. =)

• September 8, 2016 at 2:33 am #155511

I had the same question about panning with magic mouse…after trying different hotkeys I discovered that holding ‘control’ and then click-drag with magic mouse pans the scene even when you click on a node. Works nicely!

To finish nice navigation setup of the scene editor I set up hotkeys for zooming using ‘control + ‘-” for zooming out and ‘control + ‘=” for zooming in. Also set ‘control + ‘0” for resetting zoom to 100%. These and the magic mouse panning solution provides very quick navigation.

Just sharing for anyone else that has the same question we did 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.